Jul 25, 17 12:51 PM
blood-donation is to be encouraged to keep our health service functioning
Jul 25, 17 09:02 AM
Octopus beware the small but deadly blue ring
Jul 25, 17 08:28 AM
blackout this occurs when the electricity suppy goes off
June 23rd 2017
Girls as young as six are risking health problems by wearing heels, experts have warned.
For research has revealed star-struck youngsters keen to copy pop idols like Taylor Swift and Little Mix are demanding fashionable shoes that are unsuitable for growing feet.
Almost one in ten girls start to wear a three quarter inch heel from the age of six which can shorten calf muscles and put pressure on the ball of the foot, The College of Podiatry said.
A fifth of parents revealed they felt under pressure from little princesses to splash out on trendy sandals, boots and shoes.
The foot specialists said sloppy flats like flip-flops, ballet pumps and plimsolls could be just as bad if worn regularly as they can cause deformed toes.
According to the organisation, the lack of support in flimsy footwear means feet slide up and down to keep the shoes on, causing damage to the toes or forcing “toes to claw to help keep the shoe on”.
Its research found a third of kids wore slip-ons like ballet pumps and a quarter had a pair of flip flops.
Worringly, the study found millions of children are in danger of suffering long term damage to their feet by wearing shoes that are too tight or unsuitable.
Dr Stewart Morrison of the College of Podiatry said problems include callouses, blisters, bruising and even joint or ligament problems in the future.
The survey of 2,000 parents revealed more than half of children have hurt their feet in ill fitting shoes.
It raised concerns that four in ten parents have delayed buying new shoes for their child despite complaints that their current ones were painful to wear.
Nine in ten parents have bought off the shelf shoes for children without a proper fitting or having the child’s feet measured.
Four in ten said they could find the correct shoe size themselves but one in ten admitted they had no idea what their child’s correct size was.
And four in ten kids were fobbed off with hand me downs without any checks made over how they fitted.
Cost was an issue with a third of parents who struggled to find cash for new shoes and more than half turned to supermarkets or budget shoe shops rather head for a store with a measuring service.
One in 20 parents said they were unaware kids could be measured for footwear and a similar number said their little darlings did not sit still long enough to have their feet measured.
Dr Morrison said: “It’s worrying that so many children are wearing shoes which either don’t fit them properly or are not suitable for everyday wear.
“Children’s feet are still growing and are more susceptible to damage than adult feet, so it’s really vital to ensure they are wearing shoes which fit them well - in width as well as length - and that are suitable for age, as well as the task they are wearing them for.
“We recommend parents have their children’s feet measured and their everyday shoes fitted by a professional.
“For a young child aged one to three-years-old, foot changes can happen very quickly and parents should have their feet measured approximately every eight weeks, and for older children, we would advise every three to four months. This would be particularly important during growth spurt.”
The College of Podiatry is now urging parents to buy sturdy shoes such as lace-ups or those with Velcro straps which “act like a seatbelt in a car, holding the shoe onto the foot”.
Leather is said to be the best material as it is flexible, soft and hard wearing while any heel should be a quarter of an inch “to provide sufficient shock absorption.”
The perfect shape to safeguard toes is “foot shaped and not pointed or excessively tapered”.
Dr Morrison said: “It is important that we raise more attention about children’s foot health and encourage parents to check their children’s feet regularly.”
June 23rd 2017
Since bursting on the scene earlier this year, fidget spinners have had mixed press.
While they've become the must-have toy of 2017, there have also been reports of them being the cause of injuries and accidents .
With this in mind, there have been numerous concerns about the propeller-shaped gadgets' safety, with several schools banning them.
But parents and teachers like could not be blamed for having concerns over the "toy" that's touted to take the place of fidget spinners.
Handheld mini-crossbows, or toothpick crossbows, have been produced as kids' toys in China, The Guardian reports.
Worried parents want them banned before they take off amid fears a child could end up blinded.
The crossbows are selling for the equivalent of as little as 80 pence, can be purchased online and are designed to fire out just toothpicks.
However, graver damage could occur if the toothpick gets substituted for a needle or nail - and could be strong enough to shatter glass.
Worryingly, according to the Shanghai Daily newspaper, the items are also selling out fast.
June 13th 2017
Trying to catch all the parents who have not read this.
April 5th 2017
Nappy Sack Safety
Experts are warning parents to be aware of the danger posed by nappy sacks - claiming they have caused at least 16 baby deaths in Britain.
The flimsy plastic bags are used for the disposal of dirty nappies but have also been responsible for a number of tragic accidents.
According to campaigners, at least 16 infants aged under 12 months have suffocated or choked on the bags.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) is now calling for the industry to improve standards.
The charity also said a recent survey carried out by Trading Standards show a number of nappy sacks are not adequately labelled.
On Monday RoSPA held the Nappy Sack Safety Stakeholder event in London to bring the issue to the attention of businesses and customers.
Among those speaking was Sam Brough, who lost her five-month-old daughter Harley in 2013 when a nappy sack was accidentally knocked into her cot.
She is keen to raise awareness of the issue and ensure that everything is being done to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Sheila Merrill, public health adviser for RoSPA, said: "We want to maximise public awareness of this serious risk to young lives, and develop a code of practice for the manufacture and labelling of nappy sacks.
"Where these deaths have occurred, typically the sacks have been stored within the baby’s reach, close to the baby’s cot, including under the mattress, usually for convenience.
"The parents clearly have not made any association between the nappy sacks and any sort of risk from suffocation or choking.
"We can change this with adequate education and awareness, but we also want manufacturers to consider safety approaches such as making them unscented, producing them on a roll rather than as individual sheets, or new packaging."
For more information on nappy sack safety, see www.rospa.com/campaigns-fundraising/current/nappy-sacks.
March 23rd 2017
A four-year-old boy saved his mother’s life by calling 999 when she fell unconscious, police said.
The child from London, told the call handler that his name was "Roman" and he thought his "mummy" was dead because “she’s closing her eyes and she’s not breathing”.
He used his mother’s mobile phone to make the call.
London's Metropolitan Police released a clip of the conversation to remind parents how important it is to teach young children their address and how to use 999 in an emergency.
Roman was able to give his exact address in Kenley, Croydon and local officers and an ambulance were dispatched immediately to the family home.
Thirteen minutes after receiving the call, officers arrived and managed to force entry into the house where they found the boy, his twin brother, younger brother and their mother, who was lying unconscious on the floor.
Paramedics were able to give life-saving first aid to the woman and she was taken to hospital after regaining consciousness at the home, police said.
It later emerged that the boy used his mother's smartphone to get in touch with paramedics, after unlocking it by pressing her thumb on the phone. He then used the Siri function to ask for help and the app dialled 999, putting him through to emergency services.
Chief Superintendent Ade Adelekan said: “Hearing this call brings home the importance of teaching your young child their home address and how to call police or emergency services in an emergency situation.
”If you do nothing else today, then I'd implore any parents of young children to sit down with them and make sure they know what to do in this kind of situation and that they know how to contact police or other emergency services in an emergency. As this case demonstrates so poignantly, it could really be the difference between life and death."
He added: “It's an amazing story and thanks to his quick thinking and by asking 'Siri' for help, this little boy saved his mum's life and it means she is still here and can be extremely proud of him and his brothers.”
August 20th 2016
Don't forget to slap on the sun screen
It is a good idea to print off this list so that you can cross off the items you are satisfied with on safety_tips_children.
Safety_tips_children for Room/Bedroom
Tips for Adult's Bedroom
If you own firearms:
Doors & Windows
Heating & Cooling Elements
Garage & Laundry Area
It seems a lot to think about. But then nothing is more precious than your children, and we know that you will do everything you can to protect them.
If you've worked through this list and are satisfied, well done, now how about sending it to the friends that you visit with your child.
Please share it on Facebook or any other social site, make people aware, let no one die of ignorance
Buzcall.com is part of a Global Operation to keep you informed. And tell you what to do to keep you and yours safe.